Sunday, March 05, 2006

New tools.

With the help of a good friend of mine named Mike Worley, I have recently learned how to do some simple things in photoshop and I'm very pleased with the results. The page of art I am posting is the very first page of a comic I have been working on for WAY too long now. It's called "The Devil Takes to Drink", and I still have quite a bit of work to do on it. But for the first time in a long while I am excited about it again, and with just the addition of a simple gray tone, it finally looks finished to me (well, except for the word ballons). I decided after some debate that I should just stick with a simple, 30% gray tone. This conclusion was reached after talking with Mike, Jim Woodyard and Jason Caskey, who were also hanging out as Mike showed me the ropes. Part of this was based on Jim's enthusiasm for David Mazzucchelli's art. I love his work as well, and it was after paging through some of his comics I had lying around that I decided to go in this direction with my own art. Originally I wanted to do more textured, complex halftones, but ended up doing this because I just think it looks so damn sharp. Anyway, this is just the first of many pages I plan to post. Enjoy.

b



6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brook,

You've taken to this like a duck to water! Its crazy to think that a mere 2 days ago you'd never done this stuff! Keep it up, tough guy!
Yer pal,
Jason

March 05, 2006 4:57 PM  
Blogger Chris Spicer said...

Looks good Brook,

Grey tones are soooo easy with PS. I have scans of traditional screens that I sometimes play around with. It sure beats laying them down and scraping. God bless undo.

cheers,
Chris

March 12, 2007 11:48 AM  
Blogger brook Turner said...

Wow. Thanks, Chris. I'm glad to know that somebody is looking at that. However, you have shamed me, since I haven't updated that thing in over a YEAR. Crap. Now that Fredd has a link on the website, I guess I had better start posting some more stuff. BTW, I'm working on a comic with Phil Hester right now. It's called "Golly", and it looks like Image is going to be publishing it at some point. Maybe I'll put some artwork up on my blog from it. I'm just finishing up issue two right now, and hope to get started on number three in the next couple of weeks. I prefer to have at least 3 or 4 issues DONE before the first one even comes out. I'm pretty slow, unfortunately. Anyway, good to hear from you. Thanks for the comments.

brook

March 12, 2007 1:14 PM  
Blogger mellon said...

POST, sir, POST!

hehe.

looking forward to seeing GOLLY!

-mellon

July 30, 2007 1:00 AM  
Blogger mellon said...

it's officially been over 2 years.

i think it's time to post.

April 07, 2008 5:17 PM  
Blogger Mike Worley said...

Hey, Brook!!! It's now 2009!!! Are you going to finish the "Devil Takes a Drink?" Or are you more slothful than I am?

March 07, 2009 10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home